Saturday, November 2, 2013

Halloween

In Japan, Halloween is more of a holiday for college age students to have an excuse to dress up and go to a party. But as English teachers, we still try to teach our kids how things like trick-or-treating works or what a jack-o-lantern is. So for the past two weeks everyday I was dressing up as a skeleton to show the kids some Halloween spirit.

Specifically, I was a character called Brook from a popular anime called One Piece. Kids who had seen the show caught on pretty quickly who I was, shouting that Brook had come to class.







If the kids took anything away from this lesson, it was the phrase "trick or treat". To them, "trick or treat" = receiving candy. I brought candy to class to demonstrate this point, but one piece wasn't enough. They would come up to me later in the day or the following week, with a hand out waiting to receive something, to prove they paid attention in class.






No comments:

Post a Comment